From Tom O'Bryan, DC -- Research says that apples increase the level of alkaline phosphatase in the intestines which in animal research has been found to be a potent factor in maintaining a healthy microbiome and gut lining.
Gut Healing Apple Stew Recipe
- Servings: 4-6
- Time: 20mins
- Difficulty: easy
- 4 Apples (preferably organic)
- Filtered Water
- 1 cube of Gula Melaka
- Cinnamon (prepare to use this liberally)
- Wash the apples, don't peel the skins off them. If using non-organic apples, wash them with vinegar and baking soda to remove pesticides.
- Cut and dispose of the core and seeds.
- Dice them up into 2-3 inch pieces (small enough to be on a spoon when eating it)
- Throw them in a pot and fill the pot with filtered water about 1/3 of the height of the apples.
- Throw in the Gula Melaka and add the Cinnamon liberally to your liking
- Bring it to a boil and cook for about 8-13 mins. You will know when it's done when the skin of the apples gets a little shine/shimmer!
- Replace Gula Melaka with a handful of preservative-free Raisins or other natural sugars like Raw Honey
- Adjust level of water according to how diluted or sweet you want the "stew" or "sauce" to be
- Adjust cooking time according to how crunchy you want to apples to be. Just watch them cook!